Mold Inspection & Removal
Mold….a growing concern, literally. National media attention has alerted the public to the destructive and possibly toxic dangers of hidden mold spores that could affect their family’s health and their homes. Mold often times goes undetected because of its invisibility. You owe it to yourself and your family to protect yourself by minimizing the potential exposure to mold spores in your home, test for mold today!
FAQs About Mold
How can someone be exposed to mold?
- Breathing in mold spores from the air
- Coming into contact with mold by handling an item that has mold growing on it
- Eating without properly washing your hands after handling potentially moldy objects
Can mold cause health problems?
Mold has the potential to cause health problems and even make a home inhabitable. However, everyone is affected differently when coming into contact with mold. Allergic reactions to mold are common and they can be immediate or delayed. People diagnosed with allergies and asthma may be very sensitive to mold. Others that may also be at risk include: infants and young children, the elderly and immunocompromised, pregnant women, and individuals with existing respiratory conditions.
Exposure to mold, even in small amounts, may cause:
- Itching or irritation of the nose, eyes, throat or skin
- Mysterious skin rashes
- Sinus infections or congestion / sinusitis (runny nose)
- Respiratory problems (sneezing and coughing)
- Upper or lower respiratory infections
- Frequent headaches
- Trouble concentrating, memory lapses, confusion
- Mood swings, anxiety, depression
- Chronic aches and pains
- Digestive problems
Mold toxins are permanently stored in the liver and become concentrated over time.
Where is mold found in the home?
Mold in the home appears most often in moist areas and shows up as little black circles or thread-like white objects. It is usually accompanied by a musty-type odor. Mold reproduces by means of microscopic spores; the spores are invisible to the naked eye and float through the indoor and outdoor air. Mold begins to grow indoors when mold spores land on surfaces that are wet or damp. Mold will not grow without water or moisture. Therefore, it is important to dry water-damaged areas and items within 24-48 hours to prevent mold growth.
Examples of places where mold can be found inside the home include:
- Basements, kitchens (bottom of fridge), around bathroom vanities, washer/dryer area
- The underside of carpets and pads
- The surface of walls behind furniture (where condensation forms)
- Ceilings and the top side of ceiling tiles
- Front and back side of drywall, wall paper, or paneling
- Inside HVAC systems and duct work
How can I reduce or eliminate mold inside my home?
It is impossible to completely eliminate all mold and mold spores indoors. Mold will always be found floating in the air and in house dust. Indoor mold growth can be prevented by controlling water and moisture inside your home. Ways to reduce mold growth indoors include:
- Repair any water leaks
- Provide good air circulation
- All HVAC systems should have a good electrostatic filter on the return
- Use bathroom, kitchen, and laundry room exhaust fans
- Insulate and ventilate attic and crawl space areas
- Clean, dry, or remove items that are damaged by water immediately
If there is mold growth in your home, you must clean up the mold and fix the water problem immediately. Cleaning the mold, but not fixing the water problem will cause the mold to grow back.
Clearance Testing: The most important part of the remediation process is clearance testing conducted at the end of the cleaning process. This testing procedure provides confirmation that the mold has been fully remediated and that the contamination has not spread to other areas.